The Wage and Hour Division (WHD) of the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) is launching a new series of brief, plain-language videos to help employers understand their legal obligations when it comes to calculating overtime etc. According the the WHD website these videos “strip away the legalese and provide employers with basic information…” The topics provided so far are:
- Coverage: Does the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) apply to my business?
- Minimum Wage: What minimum wage requirements apply to my business?
- Deductions: Can I charge my employees for uniforms or other business expenses?
- Hours Worked: Do I have to Pay for that time?
- Overtime: When do I owe overtime compensation and how do I pay it correctly?
The videos are very well done and cover the rules quite nicely. For example the overtime video does go into all the calculations needed for regular rate of pay. They last an average of seven or eight minutes each. If you are looking for a good basic training on these topics listed check out the videos from WHD.